Friday, September 23, 2011

My computer's hard drive is going bad and I have to replace it. Will reinstalling OEM Vista give me problems?

The windows vista packaging says it can only be installed on one computer. Since I'll be installing it on a fresh new hard drive, is it going to think I'm trying to cheat and install it on multiple computers? Will it let me install it on the new drive? Do I need to deactivate it from my current drive first somehow?





I have an OEM Copy of Vista Ultimate 64bit





Thank you.|||no. you should be fine.





you might have to call an automated number and re-activate it, but its painless. you just enter your oem number from the computer and they give you a new number to enter in and you are pretty much done.





the only upgrade you have to worry about is the motherboard, that is where the OEM TATTOO resides.





(If you replace the motherboard, you have to either send it in to be re-tattooed ($45) or buy a motherboard from the manufacture that is already tattooed...





Just a little FYI. :D|||You best contact the people you have bought the pc from.


actually, as far as i know, a Windows CD recognizes the computer with its BIOS. and as long u are going to change only the HDD, i believe it wont be an issue. because OEM softs are related to the specific BIOS.


for any issue, contact the retailer you bought the pc from.


best of luck.|||The hard drive can be replaced and you will be allowed to reactivate Vista. If the motherboard is changed you won't be allowed another reactivation.|||Yes it can be a problem. If it is, you will have to make a lengthy phone call to Microsoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment