Saturday, October 1, 2011

How much computer programming do you need to know to work in the GIS field?

I have a degree in Geography. I took an intro GIS class in college and enjoyed it. We used the ArcGis software package from ESRI in the class. I am now thinking of getting a Masters or a Certificate in GIS but I noticed that many colleges require computer programming classes. I am only a geographer and have no experience with programming so I am worried. Also virtually every job posting that I have seen requires programming experience. Any advice?|||Hi Roger,


I'm doing Masters in GIS with a bachelors in computer science engineering. Actually when I was about to take GIS, I worried for not being a geographer :) . To work with GIS, you just need to know the basic use of computers.Arcgis is very user friendly most of the time. I do agree that job posting requires programming knowledge. You might need programming knowledge if you want to be in developing side, like gis software developer or gis database manager or publishing maps over internet. With your degree in geo,you would probably use GIS as a tool in geography.So do not worry!! You ll be fine. It again depends on the school you pick for Masters , which may ask you to take few programming courses.





Good Luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment